What is the program about?
70 % of India’s 1.2 billion strong population lives in its villages and this program gives you an insider’s peek into the heart of India. The rush of technology and commercialization in the last century has changed the face of India. But while Indian cities are busy and over populated, Indian villages present a very different picture of India. Indian villages are striving to hold on to their traditions while adapting to modern ways. While on this program you can live like an Indian villager and experience village life from the inside.
“Accustomed to images of India’s crowded poverty, I was unprepared for this attractive, undulating landscape dominated by rocky, treed hillocks and steep-sided river valleys. While walking on any quiet trail through the trees you are never far from productive activity and regularly meet low-key traffic: a man leading a cow, a woman picking berries, a group of people gathering firewood or carrying produce.”- Harry Dillon, Lecturer in Journalism at Charles Sturt University
Why should I attend?
If you are committed to social change and want to learn more about sustainable development then this might be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
Who can attend?
You could be a student of social work, liberal arts, social sciences or just someone who wants to gain experience while making a difference in the field of rural development.
Where is the program?
What should I expect to do on the program?
- Experience rustic lifestyles and hence gather invaluable know-how of rural India.
- Connect with the next generation of rural India to catalyze development in the field of infrastructure, education and health.
- Witness the change and learn about the challenges of development (governmental & non-governmental) projects and their impacts.
How can I make a difference?
Help conserve Indian culture and promote eco-friendly tourism while experiencing some of the most stunning interiors of a vast country. You can live and work like a villager in a rural environment and participate in sustainable rural livelihood initiatives.
What is the duration of the program?
Minimum 2 weeks
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For individuals: USD 2222 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 2 week program, USD 465 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week.
For Groups: USD 2022 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 2 week program, USD 425 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week. I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Mumbai to Program site (in case the program site is different from Mumbai)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Mumbai if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.