Urban and Rural Health Rotations
Introducing BEYOND BORDERS's North India Programs
With the Himalayas, diverse cultures, stunning landscapes and world-class hospitality North India has always been a favorite destination for tourists from all over the world. BEYOND BORDERS takes you into the heart of North India where you can learn, volunteer and experience the best India has to offer! Our North India programs are designed with the same attention to detail, safety and experiential learning as the programs we have been running for the past 7 years.
What is the program about?
This program is a combination of our Clinical Rotation in New Delhi and Rural & Public Health Rotation in villages on the outskirts of Delhi. This program is a complete experience of India’s urban and rural healthcare system. Get a complete taste of India and its complex social, cultural and particularly medical system through this unique program.
While India boasts of some of the world's largest, most modern and populated cities, most of India still lives in its villages. The urban-rural divide makes healthcare and its delivery to varied populations of vastly differing social, economic and geographical hues a very complex issue.
“Healthcare is one of India’s largest sectors, in terms of revenue and employment, and the sector is expanding rapidly. During the 1990s, Indian healthcare grew at a compound annual rate of 16%. Today the total value of the sector is more than $34 billion. This translates to $34 per capita, or roughly 6% of GDP. By 2012, India’s healthcare sector is projected to grow to nearly $40 billion.” – PricewaterhouseCooper
Why should I attend?
If you are keen to learn more about international healthcare then this program will help you make a difference by gaining unique first-hand experiences in both rural and urban medical set ups and applying them to your field of study.
Who can attend?
This program is ideal for pre-medical, medical, nursing and other allied health professionals. No prior experience or other training required.
Where is the program?
What should I expect to do on the program?
- You will get to visit hospitals and doctors in Delhi and gain an understanding of India’s urban healthcare system.
- Apart from shadowing doctors during OPD consultations, you will get an opportunity to observe general and oncology related surgeries. Other specialized hospitals include maternity homes and/or children's hospitals.
- Observe the difference between India’s urban and rural healthcare systems. From large, sophisticated and super speciality hospitals of Urban India to basic healthcare delivery in India’s villages get a comprehensive understanding of India’s healthcare sector.
- You get to be part of the medical as well as the outreach program of organizations working for people affected and infected by HIV / AIDS. Also participate in various educational camps held in schools for adolescent girls and boys on issues related to sexual health and HIV/AIDS.
What is the duration of the program?
Minimum 4 weeks
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For individuals: USD 3450 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 4 week program, USD 683 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week
For Groups: USD 2681 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for a 4 week program, USD 616 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week. I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Delhi to Program site (in case the program site is different from Delhi)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in program location if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.