Service Learning in the Himalayas
Introducing BEYOND BORDERS's North India Programs
With the Himalayas, diverse cultures, stunning landscapes and world-class hospitality North India has always been a favorite destination for tourists from all over the world. BEYOND BORDERS takes you into the heart of North India where you can learn, volunteer and experience the best India has to offer! Our North India programs are designed with the same attention to detail, safety and experiential learning as the programs we have been running for the past 7 years.
What is the program about?
The Service Learning in the Himalayas Program is an opportunity to participate in and witness social change first-hand! Visit and work with NGOs and social organizations in rural India. 70% of India lives in its villages and this program is your chance to understand the development challenges faced by India.
Observe, understand and contribute to social change in Rural India. Learn about how many NGOs and government organizations are transforming Rural India. Witness the development challenges faced by the world’s 2nd largest democracy. All this and more in the shortest possible time!
Why should I attend?
If you are interested in international development / social work / community service then this is the program for you! Observe and understand the social interventions that are gradually transforming Rural India. Learn about poverty alleviation, women’s empowerment, social justice, child protection, HIV/AIDS outreach and public health.
Who can attend?
You could be a student of social work, liberal arts, social sciences or just someone who wants to gain experience and make a difference in the field of social service / grassroots community development.
Where is the program?
What should I expect to do on the program?
- Visit local NGOs and social organizations to study development models first-hand.
- Visit governmental organizations to understand the intricacies of governmental policy making and developmental schemes.
- Learn about developmental strategies, initiatives and models that are impacting issues faced by the world today including education, healthcare, child protection, women's empowerment, HIV/AIDS.
- Get placed in organizations where you can contribute your skills, effort and time to assist in the developmental tasks of the organizations through a small project.
How can I make a difference?
You can make a difference to the communities by helping with documentation, fundraising, making a short film or even teaching students. Help communities service organizations build capacity with your skills and supplement their efforts for bringing about social change. Apply the learning from the program to your local communities.
What is the duration of the program?
Minimum 1 week up to 6 weeks
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For Individuals: USD 592 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for the 1st week. USD 562 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week
For Groups: USD 549 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for the 1st week. USD 522 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week (4 or more participants) I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Delhi to Program site (in case the program site is different from Delhi)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Delhi if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.