What is a SPEED program?
Go, Give, Engage with our low cost SPEED programs!
Identical to our longer programs, a SPEED program allows you to travel, experience and learn – for a 1 week or 2 week program any time through the year. BEYOND BORDERS’s SPEED programs are a great way to gain valuable experiential learning while spending less time and money!
What is the program about?
The International Development SPEED Program is an opportunity to witness social change first-hand! Visit and work with NGOs and social organizations in rural India. 70% of India lives in its villages and this program is your chance to understand the development challenges faced by India.
Observe, understand and contribute to social change in Rural India. Learn about how many NGOs and government organizations are transforming Rural India. Witness the development challenges faced by the world’s 2nd largest democracy. All this and more in the shortest possible time!
“The national Millennium Development Goal (MDG) Report released in 2011 reveals that India is on track on achieving targets on poverty reduction, education, and HIV at aggregate levels. But much work remains to be done in reducing hunger, improving maternal mortality rates and enabling greater access to water and sanitation targets as well as reducing social and geographic inequalities in achieving these targets. Further, rising gender inequality continues to hamper progress on development goals…Home to 1.2 billion, India’s lack of progress affects the global achievement of the MDGs.”
- United Nations Development Programme, India
Why should I attend?
If you are interested in international development then this is the program for you! Observe and understand the social interventions that are gradually transforming Rural India. Learn about poverty alleviation, women’s empowerment, social justice, child protection, HIV/AIDS outreach and public health.
Who can attend?
You could be a student of social work, liberal arts, social sciences or just someone who wants to gain experience and make a difference in the field of international development.
Where is the program?
What should I expect to do on the program?
- Visit local NGOs and social organizations to study development models first-hand.
- Visit governmental organizations to understand the intricacies of governmental policy making and developmental schemes.
- Learn about developmental strategies, initiatives and models that are impacting issues faced by the world today including education, healthcare, child protection, women's empowerment, HIV/AIDS.
- Get placed in organizations where you can contribute your skills, effort and time to assist in the developmental tasks of the organizations through a small project.
How can I make a difference?
You can make a difference to the communities by helping with documentation, fundraising, making a short film or even teaching students. Help communities service organizations build capacity with your skills and supplement their efforts for bringing about social change. Apply the learning from the program to your local communities.
What is the duration of the program?
Minimum 1 week up to 6 weeks
What are the costs?
Application Fee: USD 45
For Individuals: USD 681 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for the 1st week. USD 565 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week.
For Groups: USD 611 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for the 1st week. USD 555 (inclusive of 15% service tax) for every additional week (4 or more participants) I am interested in forming a group. Tell me more.
Applying from the United States? Make your BEYOND BORDERS experience more valuable!
BEYOND BORDERS now has an exclusive partnership with International Studies Abroad (ISA), that provides service-learning and internship opportunities to U.S. and Canadian univeristy students. Through this partnership, students will gain access to ISA’s extensive program resources. Students will be in contact with ISA’s exemplary support staff throughout the program, and will benefit from having both a pre and post departure orientation. By applying through ISA, students receive a level of student support service not common amongst other providers. Make the BEYOND BORDERS experience even more valuable by applying through ISA today!
Apply for this BEYOND BORDERS program through ISA. Click here for more
How do I avail of the lowest cost?
If you can team up with 2 or more friends who are interested in the program, you can form a group to avail of our subsidized group prices. Click here to learn more about how to form groups.
You can also partner with BEYOND BORDERS to avail of our special institutional prices. To partner with BEYOND BORDERS write to us at email@example.com with the subject line “Partner”.
We may have a scholarship available at this time. Click here to see if there is an exciting scholarship cost available!
What is included in the program fees?
The program fee includes the following:
- Pre departure orientation and support
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Transportation from Mumbai to Program site (in case the program site is different from Mumbai)
- Cultural adjustment, health and safety orientation.
- Program orientation and overview by qualified program personnel (Program Director/Academic Director/Sr. Program Managers)
- Local sim card on day of arrival
- Shared accommodation at BEYOND BORDERS guest houses. The accommodation at all BEYOND BORDERS program locations is secure, centrally located and basic but comfortable.
- Most BEYOND BORDERS guest houses have power backup, hot water, modern amenities, internet access, television, a well equipped kitchen, day staff for cooking and cleaning .
- Three meals a day: Indian vegetarian meals. BEYOND BORDERS does not serve meat at guest houses for health and hygiene reasons. Often curries or breakfast might include eggs. Vegan meals can also be arranged on request.
- Support during program activities and monitoring (Program activities are Monday to Friday. Weekends are free for students’ personal travel).
- Weekly reviews of the program with qualified program personnel (Program Director/Program Manager/Academic Director). This includes reviews of the participants learning, contribution to placement organization, facilities, logistics and program content.
- Help/support/certification in completing participant’s requirements for academic credit.
- 24 Hour emergency support (7 days a week).
The cost does NOT include:
- Any overnight accommodation in Mumbai if your flight arrives before program date.
- Daily local transportation. (Proper guidance will be provided to participants on how to use local transport systems.)
- Air ticket to India, visa fees and any travel insurance will be the responsibility of the student.
- Weekend and overnight excursions outside the program activities will have to be paid by the students directly.
- Expenses of personal nature like table drinks, fruits, juices, other snacks or personal preference meal items, mineral water, international telephone calls, or any other expenses which are not included in the above list, would be borne by the students.
- Airport Drop at the end of the program is not included in program cost.